Hydro cooling is one of the most cost-effective and reliable post-harvest methods for pre-cooling fresh produce. The best hydro coolers in the industry are available with custom designs to meet specific needs. Hydro cooling water-tolerant vegetables and fruits help to extend their shelf-life considerably. You can modify the integrated conveyors, pumps, cooling chamber, and refrigeration systems of the latest manufactured hydro-coolers.
It is one of the most essential commodities to eliminate world hunger. Hydro coolers slow down the decaying process of fruits and vegetables after harvest and before it reaches the customer. The system offers rapid cooling of farm-fresh produce. The process of hydro cooling involves putting the crop through running cold water or dipping in a tank of cold water.
Since water is a greater conductor of heat than air, it is used to keep the produce fresh for longer with an equal water distribution facility in the hydro cooling system. There are several factors like temperature, humidity and natural respiration that affect the produce post-harvest. Hydro cooling is an effective method to eliminate tissue damage of fruits and vegetables by water treatment.
Splendid Benefits of Hydro Coolers
Here are some outstanding benefits of hydro coolers in post-harvest methods:
- Shelf-Life Extension – Fruits and vegetables like Broccoli, green beans, carrots, celery, avocados, Brussels sprouts, turnips, cherries, beetroot, watermelons, and more benefit a lot from hydro coolers. The system helps to extend the shelf life of the farm-fresh produce for a long time. This helps to keep the quality of the product intact. However, it is essential to use sanitiser while recirculating the water to prevent the spreading of pathogens and bacterial growth. The products are fresh for a long time this way before it is ready to cook and eat.
- Flavour & Structure Retention – Since water cools the products rapidly post-harvest inside the hydro cooling system, it is easier to treat damages. If the fruits and vegetables undergo tissue damage, hydro coolers can effectively treat such conditions. This helps to retain the structure and flavour of the product for longer. Hydro cooling ensures that the moisture of the product remains intact, removes excess heat from the product after harvest, thoroughly cools the product to the core. It is usually a time-consuming process but ensure proven results of quality.
- Energy-Efficiency – There are different models of hydro coolers available in the market to meet your requirements. These hydro coolers are customizable, have adjustable chambers, and saves a lot of energy. It can be operated manually or automatically as per needs. Since it is modifiable, hydro coolers come with different crating or packaging systems. The modifications make the hydro coolers a great tool to conserve food materials in an environmentally friendly manner. Since it is an energy-efficient product, hydro coolers are automatically cost-effective.
- Product Hydration – It is one of the most convenient ways for farm-fresh produce hydration. Hydro coolers cool the core of the produce, repair tissue damages, stops bacterial or fungal growth, prevents loss of moisture, removes excess heat, and extend the shelf life of crops for longer periods. These are possible because of the smooth product hydration process made easily available to farmers and marketers in the form of hydro coolers. It is one of the best investments for the food production industry.
- Overall Benefits – The process helps to suppress the enzymatic and respiratory activities of the crops post-harvest to prevent softening. Hydro Cooling helps to prevent water loss from farm-fresh crops. This process increases the shelf life of crops and keeps them at high quality by reducing the growth of microorganisms. Hydro Cooling reduces the production of ethylene in crops that can cause over-ripening.
Hydro cooling is an energy-efficient, cost-effective, and sustainable way to preserve food from the field to the consumer’s plate. As the marketplace keeps expanding, the options of hydro coolers are increasing as well. There are innumerable options with different functions and abilities when it comes to hydro cooling systems.
Quik-Cool, Australia is known for its innovative and sustainable products. We are one of the leading manufacturers of commercial and industrial postharvest cooling solutions in Australia. Call us today to get an OBLIGATION-FREE quote for the products based on your requirements.